CLICK HERE FOR SOME GREAT FUN TWIN CITIES RADIO AIRCHECKS FROM YOUR FAVORITE 60'S RADIO STATIONS!
*This link is also available on our "Links" page.
World Series Champions: New York Yankees
NFL Champions: Green Bay Packers
AFL Champions: Dallas Texans
NBA Champions: Boston Celtics
Stanley Cup Champs: Toronto Maple Leafs
U.S. Open Golf: Jack Nicklaus
U.S. Tennis: (Men/Ladies): Rodney Laver/Margaret Smith
Wimbledon (Men/Women): Rod Laver/Karen Susman
NCAA Football Champions: USC
NCAA Basketball Champions: Cincinnati
Kentucky Derby: Decidedly
Record of the Year: "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" ... Tony Bennett
Song of the Year: "What Kind of Fool Am I" ... Leslie Bricusse & Anthony Newley
Song of the Year: "The First Family" ... Vaughn Meader
Male Vocalist: Tony Bennett ... "I Left My Heart in San Francisco"
Female Vocalist: Ella Fitzgerald ... "Ella Swings Brightly with Nelson Riddle"
2. West Side Story
3. Lover Come Back
4. That Touch of Mink
5. El Cid
6. The Music Man
7. King of Kings
9. The Flower Drum Song
10. The Interns
Best Picture: "Lawrence of Arabia"
Best Director: David Lean ... "Lawrence of Arabia"
Best Actor: Gregory Peck ... "To Kill a Mockingbird"
Best Actress: Anne Bancroft ... "The Miracle Worker"
1. The Beverly Hill Billies (CBS)
2. Candid Camera (CBS)
3. The Red Skelton Show (CBS)
4. Bonanza (NBC)
5. The Lucy Show (CBS)
6. The Andy Griffith Show (CBS)
7. Ben Cassey (ABC)
8. The Danny Thomas Show (CBS)
9. The Dick Van Dyke Show (CBS)
10. Gunsmoke (CBS)
100 TOP POPS OF 1962
1. Stranger On the Shore, Mr. Acker Bilk
2. I Can't Stop Loving You, Ray Charles
3. Mashed Potato Time, Dee Dee Sharp
4. Roses Are Red (My Love), Bobby Vinton
5. The Stripper, David Rose
6. Johnny Angel (Single Version), Shelley Fabares
7. The Loco-Motion, Little Eva
8. Let Me In, The Sensations
9. The Twist, Chubby Checker
10. Soldier Boy, The Shirelles
11. Hey Baby, Bruce Channel
12. The Wanderer, Dion
13. Duke Of Earl, Gene Chandler
14. Palisades Park, Freddy Cannon
15. Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, Neil Sedaka
16. Wolverton Mountain, Claude King
17. Slow Twistin', Chubby Checker
18. It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin', Johnny Tillotson
19. The One Who Really Loves You, Mary Wells
20. Good Luck Charm, Elvis Presley
21. Midnight In Moscow, Kenny Ball
22. Sheila, Tommy Roe
23. Twistin' the Night Away, Sam Cooke
24. The Wah Watusi, Orlons
25. Peppermint Twist, Joey Dee and The Starlighters
26. Break It to Me Gently, Brenda Lee
27. Playboy, The Marvelettes
28. Ramblin' Rose, Nat King Cole
29. Sealed With a Kiss, Brian Hyland
30. She Cried, Jay & The Americans
31. Don't Break the Heart That Loves You, Connie Francis
32. Dear Lady Twist, Gary US Bonds
33. Norman, Sue Thompson
34. Love Letters, Ketty Lester
35. Party Lights, Claudine Clark
36. Cotton Fields, The Highwaymen
37. Alley Cat, Bent Fabric
38. Twist and Shout, The Isley Brothers
39. Theme from "Dr. Kildare", Richard Chamberlain
40. Tuff, Ace Cannon
41. Lover Please, Clyde Mcphatter
42. I Know (You Don't Love Me No More), Barbara George
43. Young World, Rick Nelson
44. Baby It's You, Shirelles
45. Speedy Gonzales, Pat Boone
46. A Little Bitty Tear, Burl Ives
47. Crying In the Rain, Everly Brothers
48. Al Di La, Emillo Pericoli
49. Shout! Shout! (Knock Yourself Out), Ernie Maresca
50. Don & Juan - What's Your Name, Don & Juan
51. Smoky Places, The Corsairs
52. Having a Party, Sam Cooke
53. Green Onionss, Booker T and The MG's
54. You Don't Know Me, Ray Charles
55. Sherry, The Four Seasons
56. Johnny Get Angry, Joanie Sommers
57. Can't Help Falling In Love, Elvis Presley
58. Shout, Joey Dee and The Starlighters
59. Rinky Dink, Dave "Baby" Cortez
60. Moon River, Henry Mancini
61. Ahab the Arab, Ray Stevens
62. Things, Bobby Darin
63. (The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valance, Gene Pitney
64. You Belong to Me, Duprees
65. Dream Baby, Roy Orbison
66. Snap Your Fingers, Joe Henderson
67. Lovers Who Wander, Dion
68. Let's Dance, Chris Montez
69. Cindy's Birthday, Johnny Crawford
70. You Beat Me to the Punch, Mary Wells
71. You'll Lose a Good Thing, Barbara Lynn
72. Uptown, The Crystals
73. Everybody Loves Me But You, Brenda Lee
74. Patches, Dickie Lee
75. Venus In Blue Jeans, Jimmy Clanton
76. Love Me Warm and Tender, Paul Anka
77. Teen Age Idol, Rick Nelson
78. She's Got You, Patsy Cline
79. Dear One, Larry Finnegan
80. Her Royal Majesty, James Darren
81. Old Rivers, Walter Brennan
82. Funny Way of Laughin', Burl Ives
83. A Swingin' Safari, Billy Vaughn
84. Tell Me, Dick & Deedee
85. P.T. 109, Jimmy Dean
86. Little Diane, Dion
87. Percolator Twist, Billy Joe & The Checkmates
88. Twist, Twist Senora, Gary "U.S." Bonds
89. Twistin' Matilda (And The Channel), Jimmy Soul
90. Gravy (For My Mashed Potatoes), Dee Dee Sharp
91. Walk On the Wild Side, Jimmy Smith
92. Soul Twist, King Curtis
93. I'll Never Dance Again, Bobby Rydell
94. I'm Blue (The Gong-Gong Song), The Ikettes
95. Where Have All the Flowers Gone, The Kingston Trio
96. (Girls Girls Girls Were) Made To Love, Eddie Hodges
97. Town Without Pity, Gene Pitney
98. If I Had a Hammer, Peter, Paul & Mary
99. I Wish That We Were Married, Ronnie & The Hi-lites
100. Surfin' Safari, The Beach Boys
Audrey Hepburn, Annette Funicello, Jayne Mansfield, Brigitte Bardot, Kim Novak, Sophia Loren, Marilyn Monroe, Doris Day.
October 22-28 was probably the closest we ever came to nuclear war - The Cuban Missle Crisis was officially over on November 2.
Marilyn Monroe's death was caused by an overdose of sleeping pills. Conspiracy theories involve the mob, President John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert Kennedy. Ex-husband and baseball great Joe DiMaggio took care of all of the funeral arrangements although the couple had divorced in 1954.
"Glenn Bell's first Taco Bell opened in Downey, California.
"Heeere's Johnnny! - Ed McMahon introducing the new 'Tonight Show'.
The first computer video Game , Spacewar, was invented.
Audio cassetes were invented.
Telstar was launched as the first working communications satellite. The light-emitting diode (LED) invented Nick Holonyak, while working for General Electric.
Decca Records A&R executive Dick Rowe turned down the Beatles for a record deal and reportedly told their manager, "Guitar groups are on the way out." He made up for the mistake by signing the Rolling Stones the following year.
The first Vail Ski Resort opened in 1962.
The first Target (Tar-zhay) store opened in Roseville, Minnesota.
Time Magazine's Man Of The Year: Pope John XXIII
Miss America: Maria Fletcher (Asheville, NC)
Miss USA: Macel Leilani (Hawaii)
Most Popular Christmas Gifts: Tammy fashion doll, Mille Bornes Card Game , LEGO Model Sets (with wheels), Boob Tube, Slinky*, Password TV Game home version, smooth & plastic wiffle bat is introduced, Limbo Party Kit.